Sunday, February 20, 2005

Fresh, fresh Austin

So yeah, I am in the hotel in Austin. I figured I should make myself write something about this visit while it's still fresh, so I won't end up the last school I visit. So how's Austin, you might ask?

Well, first of all it's a city. I thought I'd never want to go back to a real city, with traffic, beggars, tall but crappy buildings, parking problems, etc. Austin however, seems to have a bunch of other things to compensate these urban disadvantages. The social life of this city is just amazing. I can't believe it's a southern city, not to mention that it's the capital of Texas. How does that work, anyway? It seems like every night there are a gagillion bands playing, theater plays or dance shows running. The number of restaurants and options for food is also quite remarkable. The interesting part is that the city was planned to have a technological boom about 10 years ago, so a lot of development took place: apartments, restaurants, bars, office buildings. It turns out that the boom in population never actually happened but the development itself created a greater offer than demand so a lot o people decided to come over here for the affordable living and awesome social life.

If I couldn't visit the other schools (Boulder and Illinois) I say that I would chose Austin, just because it seems like the perfect balance between work and fun.

No comments: