Monday, July 18, 2005

Branding Romania

I have recently stumbled upon Branding Romania, a place where people share ideas about the most effective way to change Romania's image abroad. Being here in the States for four years I can say that most people bring up a slightly negative third world country image when they hear about Romania: ugly people with sad faces, bad teeth, russian-like brutality in language and actions, Dracula, and tiny but very serious gymnasts. Fortunately, since I have come to Boulder I saw the other side of the fence, that is an American community where people know a lot about Romania, its culture and centuries old traditions.

Last weekend, for example, the Romanian festival took place down on Pearl street. Yes, an entire festival with food, dances, clothing only from Romania was the main weekend event in Boulder. It turns out many Americans find the energetic dances and unusual Romanain songs extremely interesting. I guess it's just like bagpipe music which some native "green men" might not find that exciting, but which I love very much.

The Romanian festival was organized by the Romanian American Freedom Alliance, a handful of Romania-enthusiasts (both American and Romanian). I think that RAFA's actions are the most compelling argument in building Romania's image. I haven't seen anywhere in the US people so open and knowing so much about Romania's geographical location, its problems with joining EU or even knowing the detailed stories behind some "doina de jale" traditional Romanian songs. Now, that's changing Romania's image!

No comments: