Saturday, April 17, 2004

GRE stupidity and laptop

It's time to go to bed and I feel compelled to say something on this Blog.

Well, today I laid in the sun for a couple of hours, reading some GRE words and getting down some tricks about the writing section. By the way, that test will suck. I have never been good at standardized testing because they are always simplified, or maybe I should say "stupidified". Take for example one of the analogy questions I was doing today. Electricity:wire:: and the answer was Fluid:Pipe:: For somebody with no common nerdy knowledge this would seem OK. Current flows through the wire like fluid through a pipe. Well one of the other options was transportation:highway:: Just basic knowledge about electricity should indicate that electriciy is a flow of electrons, the consequence of their movement, so it's more like a property rathern than being a thing like a fluid. Second of all electricity can exist only if there is a wire connecting the difference of potential. A fluid is by definition anything that can flow, but nobody says that it has to flow. Transportation is more like a property, not a thing and it's existence is conditioned by highways. Anyway, you can see my point: don't think too hard.

Another accomplishemnt was to finish 4 out of the 16 problems of my linear algebra test. This test seems by far the easiest because it doesn't consist of ONLY proofs. I love proofs, but everything has a limit. I will probably get most of the test done tomorrow and maybe get some good questions ready for some consultation during office hours.

Yet another big thing today is the decision to get a laptop. I found a sweet deal for an Averatec 3225h laptop. It's tiny (12") but it comes with all the goodies: 512RAM 2700 DDR, 30Gig HD, DVD/CD-RW, integrated wireless g and it weighs only 4 pounds (a little over 1kg). WOW, I know. And it costs only $800, brand new, 1 yr warranty. I decided that I need a computer for this summer's REU at South Carolina, so I will probably purchase it tomorrow after some more research.

Darn, this blog ate 10 minutes of my invaluable sleep time...

No comments: