Thursday, March 03, 2005

Hungarian-filled Bavarian croissants

I just came back from a poetry slam at the University coffee shop. I've always wanted to see one, and I guess tonight I had the oportunity to taste the best of the best. RZ's featuered the twice poetry slam world champion Buddy Wakefield. The show is a combination of poetry and acting. I felt somewhat uneasy at first because the words were coming out of his mouth at a machine gun pace, but I was soon amazed by how powerful those words turned out to be. What I liked the best was that using just words he was able to induce in me a dream-like state. Here are a few of his latest verses from his journal that are pretty indicative

Revisionist history relationship trading cards
Interactive slow moving quick fix
Open hearted surgery blindfolds
Middle finger applicator with wings
Chicken breast strokes
Hungarian-filled Bavarian croissants
Selective memory commemorative plates
Jet fuel

A few weeks ago we went to Arsaga's and saw a guy with a guitar and an amazing voice. We liked him and after a careful scrutiny of our empty college student pockets we decided to buy his CD. His name is Nick Pagliari, and he is the singer of a Nashville band called Fairfax. They play southern rock, with country influences (the good kind of country). Anyway, they sound really good and are worth a click. Apparently their album is also available on iTunes. So far my favorite songs are Swell and The Intervention.

Today I've restarted my trips to the gym. Two weeks ago I stepped in a pothole during the ultimate winter league and sprained my ankle pretty bad. It was swollen for more than a week and it still hurts when I try to rotate my foot. Well, today I did a decent ab routine and ran for 3 miles at a deliberately slow pace to protect my poor ankle. It feels so good to be an active animal again!

No comments: