Sunday, March 27, 2005

Last chunk of the school year - somebody inject the nitro boost!

I finally finished my programming assignment. As I am in the process of writing a piece of code I hate programming with my entire soul. When I am done I feel a little beeter. The hate part is because after I come up with a brilliant idea I have to figure out ways to translate it into the programming language. Not having much experience in the field makes me discover how stupid I am every time I program I and it really hurts. I seriously put too much time in this homework and it's so demoralizing. I think the result is pretty cool, but I rather not have to deal with it. I am so glad I decided to get away from computational chemistry in grad school.

Talking about grad-school, I had some gut feelings today that I want to go to CU Boulder. It's just that I am excited about working there: the people, the place, the weather, the healthy environment are all so exciting. I am a little skeptical because CU is another big state university with frattards and sorostitutes, not that big of a name (compared to MIT), and probably too expensive for its worth. I am seriously thinking about dropping my visit to Illinois and just accept the Colorado's offer. Should I wait and reason it out till the very end or just go with my feelings?

Off the topic: A civil group called MinuteMan Project will deploy volunteers at the U.S. Mexican border in Arizona equipped with night vision, radios and light aircraft to monitor the rampant illegal immigration. Apparently the project has a lot of volunteers and they had to turn people down because some of them were too nuts (white supremacists). The official border patrol is against this because they fear that the civil militia will either abuse the immigrants or will get into dangerous situations with the mexican 'vigilantes'. After Bush's recent visit to Mexico it is very clear to me that there is no intention of securing the Mexican border. A big chunk of the American economy is feeding off the illegally cheap labor of illegal immigrants. Bush was governor in Texas and there's no doubt he knows this problem very well. Here's the original BBC news piece.

No comments: