Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Romanian president meets Bush

Basescu, the former sea captain and now president of Romania met with G.W. Here is a link to a video stream of the press conference that followed their meeting. I must say, for living most of his life in communist Romania, Basescu's English was not that bad. His grammar was terrible, but the pronunciation was half decent. I don't even dare compare it to Iliescu's Russenglish. I didn't quite get Basescu's remark "It was a sign of destiny" referred to Bush's comment that the rainbow shone when he gave the speech in Romania, in the same place where Ceausescu gave his last speech. I am sure he hinted to the superstition that the rainbow is a sign of good fortune. Basescu misused the word "destiny" and it sounds like he compares the destinies of Bush and Ceausescu. I hope I am the only one to get this weird interpretation.

No comments: